One main goal for each student in music classes is Quality Engagement. Students who demonstrate High Attention and High Commitment in class will have success in learning. The categories below are understood by students and ranked weekly in the music room. Participation is key to learning!!
- FULL ENGAGEMENT (4): Students at this highest level display a high level of attention and are attracted to their work, persist despite challenges or obstacles. They take visible delight in accomplishing tasks. Commitment to learning is high, displaying high student value on learning.
- STRATEGIC COMPLIANCE (3): Students at this high level are on task, displaying some persistence toward progress. Attention is high and commitment is low, demonstrating that the task has little value to the student.
- RITUAL COMPLIANCE (2): Students at this medium level sometimes need to be reminded about staying on task. Attention is low and commitment to learning is low, while the student tries to avoid negative consequences.
- RETREATISM (1): Students at this low level often need repeated reminders to stay on task and follow directions. Students are not attending to tasks given in class and display no commitment to their value in learning. Although students substitute other activities for the assigned task, they avoid disrupting others who are on task.
- REBELLION (0): Students at this lowest level display diverted attention, refusing to carry out an assigned task. The student demonstrates no commitment to learning tasks and disrupts others and/or tries to substitute other activities in place of the assigned task.